A List Of The Most Interesting Extended Essay Topics In Biology
It is impossible to finish your extended essay in biology overnight, so you should start working on your assignment as early as you can. You should compose a topic broad enough so that you will write a paper of a required length. It is also important to ensure that you have all the materials to support your ideas and obtain new results. The following list of the most interesting topics is designed to get you inspired.
Sample Biology Extended Essay Topics
Having a list of sample essay topics is great if you do not know where to start from. The following ideas for your paper are interesting to write about:
- The relationship between genetics and obesity: what type of genes is responsible for obesity issues?
- The influence of abortions on women’s health: potential physical complications and psychological effects.
- The most popular birth control measures: their effectiveness versus effects on future pregnancies.
- The use of viruses and bacteria as a biological weapon: potential threats versus political benefits.
- The most dangerous diseases in the modern society: how to fight them effectively?
- The main causes of phobias: the scientific ways of dealing with them.
- The blood types: how each one is different and why it is important to know your blood type.
- The brain activity: the role of technology in the understanding of how brain cells turn into a tumor.
- The role of nutrients in muscle development: special chemical supplements versus a healthy diet.
- The similarities between human and animal cells: why animals are used to test cosmetics?
- The role of sleep: how much rest do people actually need?
- The factors that influence the aging process: is it possible to slow the aging down?
- Alternative health treatment options: getting some form of relief from different medical conditions.
- Emotions: where they come from and why they are so important.
- Recent climate change: the main ecological responses.
Final Comments and Writing Tips
The aforementioned topics are interesting to study deeply. However, you should prepare an outline before you start writing your essay. It is recommended that you prepare an outline using full sentences and ask your academic advisor to approve it.
You should also consider citing the sources while you are writing. To do so, use the bibliographical features of your word processor or install special software that will also help you compose a list of references.
14 Great Ideas For Biology IB Extended Essay Topics
If your exams are getting close, you are probably trying already to gather as much information as you can about the best way to get maximum grade. The essay part of the exam matters the most; it will take the most of your time and it represents almost half of your grade. However, it is not as difficult as you might think. As long as you put some effort into it and you studied your subject well, it will be pretty easy to get high marks. Here are some great ideas for your biology essay:
- Respiratory system: This is maybe one of the most common topics that are given in IB exam; it is easy as long as you pay attention to the details.
- The nature of Symbiotic Relationship. It's more about the basics, the theory and a few examples are what you need.
- Human reflexes. An easy and interesting topic, you can talk about the part of the brain that controls the reflexes and how it's done.
- Blood types. Explain the basic principle of the blood types and how these can influence a person.
- The production of Antibodies-Even if you choose to talk about the human body or animals, it's a topic interesting and easy to explore.
- The digestive system and processed food- A study about how our body is affected by modern alimentation and what chemical substances are we ingesting without knowing.
- Human Physiology- The advantage of this topic is that it's easy to think about experiments and ways to gather real data.
- Metabolism- Explain how humans are metabolizing different substances, how we can increase our metabolic rate and how are we affected by diets.
- Neurological science- This topic is extremely versatile, you can choose if you talk about the anatomy or the physiology of the brain or what are the control centers of our brain.
- Human endocrine system- You need to have very solid knowledge in anatomy and chemistry but it is pretty simple and easy to explore.
- Hormones- Quite connected with the endocrine system, explain how different hormones can influence our mood or our energy levels.
- Viruses and bacteria- You can think about creative ways to use a virus to treat bacteria. There are several studies on the subject, so inform yourself before writing.
- Antibiotics- How are antibiotics produced, what effect they have over our body and what are the advantages and disadvantages of using them.
- Genetic diseases- Truly a very interesting topic; it requires a lot of research but it can be very educational and for sure your professors will be impressed.